Thursday 20 December 2012

One Night In Bangkok and the Worlds' Green Curry....I hate oysters...

The only things I know for sure are that I'm arriving in Bangkok at 8.30pm on 19 January and my first appointment with the dentist is at 12.30pm on the 21st...after that I have no idea whats going to happen except I'm leaving on 1 February and I'm going to be sore...

I also know, the first night is a write off, so Sunday January 20, you are my ONLY assured day for traditional tourism....so how the hell do I decide what to do?????

I must see temples, palaces, markets, try street food and watch a lady boy cabaret show....I'm a little fascinated by lady boys...but with all the affordable surgery no wonder they are so bloody beautiful! I cant remember the last time I got jealous over man boobs...anyway...

So Ive booked myself a half day tour of the Temples and Palaces around Bangkok, that gets me back to my hotel at about 1pm, from there, I'm going to jump on the Skytrain and visit the Chatuchak Markets, then off to wander through the stalls at the Victory Monument, back to the hotel for a swim then off to Calypso for the Lady Boy Show and some cheap drinks then bed.  Up early and off to Central World for some more shopping in somewhat more familiar surrounds and be back at my hotel by 12 to be whisked off to my appointment...

I hope that I get more of a Thai experience than that but if I don't, Ill have glimpsed the Thai way of life and I know Ill be back for much less invasive treatment in a few months so Ill get the chance to go back and explore....I really do hope I'm well enough to tack on a trip to the River Kwai and the Thai-Burmese Railway this time. It would mean alot to me to pay my respects to the Aussie Diggers who suffered in its WW2 construction.

I do have some concerns though, I'm really worried about seeing the poverty. I'm going to have a very hard time seeing children in desperate situations, It will offend me seeing a relatively "rich" western man in the company of a young, and I'm sure, sometimes too young, Thai companion. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel knowing that sexual slavery is alive and well and that many women in Bangkok bars are there only to provide for their family and children who are stuck in a rural village living a life of subsistence. Its going to be near impossible for me to ignore these things. Its going to put me in a vulnerable situation, I will be an easy target to be taken advantage of. I must remember that there is nothing I can do and that becoming emotional about the plight of others does nothing but upset me as I am powerless to stop the machine. I'm going to be tempted to spend my money in buying these people for a few hours so they DON'T end up with creepy sex tourists....I must NOT....but I know I will. Ill be that chick in the McDonalds buying dinner for the tens of kids I couldnt say no to....if you see me come say Hi...

I'm glad that I spent today deciding on activities that don't involve people ripping bits out if me and screwing things into my bone....

The countdown is on, less than a month.....









No comments:

Post a Comment