Thursday 6 December 2012

And So The Adventure Begins......


And so the adventure begins....maybe its more accurate to say "And so I am forced to find an alternative because the cost of dental work in the Land of Oz can only be met if you are sitting atop a fantastical treasure, the likes of which would make Bill Gates green with envy....or you have a Degree in Dentistry"....

I'm not going to go into how my teeth came to be in this state except that is is the result of 3 different medical conditions suffered for the last 20 years, each of which had the symptom of vomiting, I have been vomiting 10 - 20 times a day for 20 years.....now have you heard of acid wear? Well, I have acid wear on steroids,  in fact my acid wear invited all of his mates over and gate crashed my mouth. Its a disgusting mess and it NEEDS to be fixed. I am finally well enough to get them fixed!!!!! PRAISE THE UNIVERSE!!!!

Now, if you have a mouth like mine, you do not want to visit the dentist but you have to and I did......after taking about 12 Valium and sculling 3 bourbons.......yeah I know....... I was still crying shaking and almost fainting in the waiting room. This was for the first consultation, I knew no work would be done, I was freaking out. Why? I'm an anxious fretful panic merchant, the more of these blogs you read the more you'll understand this. Anyway, He charged me $235 to tell me it was a REALLY big job (well durr, I knew that before I got there) and he had to refer me to a surgeon and a prosthodontist....3 week wait....

So after  3 weeks and only 6 Valium washed down with only 1 bourbon (Im starting to be OK with this dentist thing) I visit said Professional Rip Off Artist, I mean prosthodontist, He was kinder, at first, he only charged me $205, but that was to lull me into a false sense of security. He agreed I needed dentures, he agreed that the implanted dentures are the best option, and so, I say to him, I need you to give me some type of idea about how much this will all cost me please and how long it would take. This is what he told me....

They will remove all my remaining teeth, I will then wait about 4 weeks to heal, The implants will be placed, he only quoted me on 4 when Ill need 9 - 12, then I need to wait 4 - 6 months while they bond to the bone before they will fit the dentures to the implants. Ill need 3 surgeries - all under general, Ill be without ANY teeth for 6 months all this for the bargain price of around $37 000 not including the surgeon or anesthetist..all tolled it may have cost me $60 000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if I didn't want to be toothless for half a year he could make me a temporary denture for about $4000 extra!!!!!

After I had picked myself up off the floor.....I just looked at him....almost blinded by the light being reflected by the massive rock he calls an earring...."So what do normal people do? Normal Australian's cannot afford this type of money, its a house deposit" His response " Well actually about half of the people I see don't return after being given the quote." So I ask "What do they do?" Dr Richie Rich says "I don't know, live with them I suppose".......Oh man.....the effects of the Valium and bourbon suddenly lifted and I saw red.....so I asked him "How does that make you feel about yourself, your profession and what about what it says of your ethics? You are willing to let suffering people walk way because you want to profit.....How many carats is that diamond in your ear?" Suffice to say he was not impressed and he asked me to leave....

I know I need this done, and so long as the Australian Government feel that teeth are a luxury I'm not going to be able to get it done here. This lead me to investigate and that's how I found out that the Tooth Fairy Lives in Thailand...





No comments:

Post a Comment