Saturday 15 December 2012

"Susie, this was meant to be"....

Anyone who has ever considered medical treatment overseas will tell you that the reaction from the Australian medical professionals is one of abject horror. Based on this knowledge I was some what hesitant to tell my GP that I was in fact going to Bangkok to get the dental work he has green lighted. I wasn't going to but I don't want to risk anything so yesterday morning off to the Dr's.....

Before Ive even sat down in the consulting room I had blurted out...I'm going to Thailand to get my teeth fixed.....and waited for the lecture about how stupid I'm being....

"Really?!" he says in an excited tone, "Where"?. I was feeling a little taken aback this was not the reaction that I was expecting."Bangkok, I'm tossing up between a few places, BIDC, Bumrungrad Hospital......" He interrupted me, "Do you know where I worked for 8 years before coming to Australia? Bumrungrad Hospital!"

I was very very pleased at this news "Am I making a good decision here Dr?". His response was even more jaw dropping "Yes, my dear, you are making a very wise choice, get a quote from "Dr ThaiDentist", he is the best I know.". At this point I didn't think the news could get any better, that's the exact dentist that I am favouring so far. The fears I had were suddenly popping like bubbles in the sun...

MY AUSTRALIAN GP PERSONALLY KNOWS THE DENTIST I'M GOING TO IN THAILAND!!!!!!!!!! 

But wait the best bit hasn't even come yet....

He asks me when I'm going? I tell him and then he tells me he will be in Bangkok AT THE SAME TIME!!!! Staying on a different soi and hotel but, get this,  ON THE SAME BLOCK!!!! Then he said to me....

"Susie, this was meant to be."

So he has started to teach me Thai, Thai in a feminine way, as apparently men and women use different ending sounds. He has drawn me a map of how to get from my accommodation to his, his Thai phone number and his email address!!! Could I feel any safer? Tomorrow night I go back for my first needles and another Thai language lesson.....

And this was only the start of my day...it got even better!!!!

I called the lovely Sharon at Global Health Travel, and told her to get this locked in,  and yep Ill take the accommodation/patient care package. She could easily accommodate the dates I needed and would send through the invoice.

In terms of accommodation and care, GHT offer a couple of different options. There is an option for accommodation in a two bedroom apartment for people travelling unaccompanied, or a hotel package for two people, patient and companion.  I really did not want to be sharing with someone else so I opted for the hotel package even though I'm going alone.

A few hours later, I got a call from Sharon, she was able to offer me accommodation in the apartment complex in single accommodation for the same price as the hotel package! Now the hotel was nice but the apartments are freaking awesome! PLUS, and this is the real kicker, there are nurses on site and on hand 24/7!!! Naturally I jumped at that offer.

So now, I'm in a beautiful modern apartment, on Soi 11, smack bang in the middle of the tourist area, with Bangkok city views, a gorgeous swimming pool and spa area, nurses on hand 24 hours a day, my Dr will be a few blocks away but still very close and he knows the dentist....

The doctor was right, this was meant to be.



4 comments:

  1. Susie, that's such great news. I'll admit, I was a little concerned about you having serious surgery and being on your own but you're going to have great support. I'm so happy for you, you deserve it.

    - Christie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had dental work done with dr sunil in sep just gone and stayed in the appartments. you will be well looked after and meet great people. love the blog. nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment is like a P.S.

    Tonight I went to my local Thai, I am such a regular they know my order by voice, and GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!
    MY CHEF AND HIS WIFE ARE IN BANGKOK WHEN I AM!
    Mrs Chef is going to take me shopping!
    Chef is going to join us in the evening and we are going street food hunting....
    All AFTER surgery of course!
    This is too cool, I'm taking my neighbourhood!

    ReplyDelete