Thursday 6 December 2012

Is This Smart Or Am I Just Crazy?

I don't know about you, but sometimes I enjoy killing a few brain cells by watching A Current Affair or Today Tonight. I love to wind down to some crappy tabloid journalism after work. So I've seen the medical holiday horror stories, but, thanks to those stories I decided to find out about going overseas for my treatment.

First thing I found out was that it is truck loads (replace the" tr" with an "f"), cheaper in Thailand......

Hmmmmmmm.............and so the wheels turned.......surely it cant be all bad......I don't want the worlds cheapest job, I want a quality job done by experienced doctors and dentists with some western, preferably American, English or Australian qualifications at a reasonable price. I want it done in a hospital that has at least  the same standards as those in Australia and I want it done fast, my mission was to find out if this is possible.

Guess what people.....it is......

Getting a tooth extracted in Bangkok, at an International Hospital, the likes of which you will not find in Australia is $31....YES $31!!!!! You wont get a tooth pulled here for less than $80.....I started to get a bit excited....Want a whole mouth professional clean and polish? Got a spare $50? You'll get change......

So now what? Who can help me organise this....I need hotels, flights, appointments,  support....doing this on my own, I decided, would result in me being ACA's Friday Night's Overseas Medical Disaster Story".

I think I contacted every single medical travel agency there is. There is one agency that has stood out above all the rest, its Global Health Travel (GHT), they haven't paid me for this plug. (But of course, if you like GHT, you can give me a discount ;-P). In fact I have not signed on the bottom line yet but I will... I'm waiting on my passport....

Here is the link to their web site - http://globalhealthtravel.com.au/

Check out the hospital! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6T6UTN8C0&noredirect=1

The lovely, friendly Sharon, from GHT, contacted me, by phone, within a couple of hours of my email enquiry. All I needed to do was to send her through the x-rays and she would get back to me with a quote.

Hint - DO NOT TELL YOUR AUSTRALIAN DENTIST YOU ARE THINKING OF TRAVELLING OVERSEAS FOR YOUR TREATMENT - THEY WILL MUCK YOU AROUND WHEN TRYING TO OBTAIN REPORTS AND X-RAYS THAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR!!!!

I sent the x-rays through and received my quote within 24 hours, the cost works out to be about $20 000 give or take a few thousand including airfares and accommodation on the correct number of implants with temporary dentures ie NO TIME WITHOUT TEETH!!!!! WTF!!!!  They were even quoting on the SAME BRAND HARDWARE!!!! I was sold....soldiddlilyold, as Ned Flanders would say..... I'm supposed to get another quote but I don't care if I don't. This is a great quote from a reputable clinic. http://www.bangkokdentalcenter.com/

My experience with Aussie dentists prepared me for a long wait before I could get in and get this done but no, I can have an appointment when ever I want, they need a weeks notice...WTF? No waiting...maybe the Valium and the bourbon were still effecting me...no, they aren't....this is real....

So at that moment I could have kicked myself....I have no passport nor original birth or marriage certificate...I wanted to book right there and then but because I'm a disorganised dame, I had tons of admin work to do...the clinic closes for a week over Christmas ..I need to be flying out on 14 December or Ill have to wait until the new year....SPEWING!!!!!!

Hint - IF YOU WERE BORN IN NSW IT TAKES 3 WORKING DAYS FOR AN URGENT BIRTH OR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE TO BE SENT INTERSTATE  So get a couple of original copies before you move in case you need them really really fast, like me....

Once I get those I can apply for my passport. This will set you back $233 plus $104 if you need it urgently. Normally it takes 10 days, urgent ones you can get in 2. Your passport pics, you get 8 and you will look ugly (I think the ugly thing must be one of the necessary elements of a passport photo),  cost $15.95 at Australia Post.

You do not need a Visa if you are staying in Thailand for less than 30 days, and if you're really wanting to save you'll fly Air Asia....

I have decided that I am not going to make the 14 December deadline, its all too fast.....I wish I had called GHT months ago....now I am so keen my anxiety has almost vanished......

The way I see it is, yes, getting surgery in Thailand is an idiotic idea if you do not research it and you do not go to an international hospital/clinic. If you go to an International Hospital/clinic the only greater risk in doing so is that your wallet will be heavier and your smile will be bigger because everyone LOVES a genuine bargain!!!

OR SO I SAY NOW......

What do you say?

Am I being smart or am I crazy?

I could get traditional dentures in Australia for around $13 000...but I dont want them, I want bells and whistles....






No comments:

Post a Comment