Thursday 7 March 2013

To Be Fair.

In my previous blog "I'm Not Refusing Treatment! I'm Refusing Drugs" I spoke of my treatment at the Logan Hospital Emergency Department. I said that I would post their response to my complaint. Yesterday I received this letter in the mail. If you click on it you will be able to read it.

Click on me to read

I'm really unhappy about this letter, its a fob off, so Ive written back, and again to be fair I shall share my response


Dear Ms Dunn,

I have to say that the response to my complaint is almost as unimpressive as my treatment at the Logan Emergency Department on 3 February 2013.
While I appreciate the time it seems the hospital took undertaking the investigation in response to my complaint, you have failed in answering the direct questions I asked in relation to this incident. I am not looking for an apology, I am looking for answers.
If you are able to provide an adequate response to the questions I have I will not feel the need to take this complaint further.
It may be that I did not express myself well over the telephone as I was still very upset by the incident at the time so I will pose these questions directly.
1. Why did the nurse feel she had nursed me before?
2. Why did that nurse state "You were here last week asking for drugs. I treated you, it was about your teeth". I had NOT been at that hospital for my teeth EVER!!!! 
3. Why did the nurse feel that I was lying about my identity?
4. Why did the nurse state that I was refusing treatment when I refused pain killers?
5. Why was my identity more important than my life?
6. Why, when presenting for treatment in an ambulance, with swelling and chest pain after a long haul flight and major dental surgery, (I had 25 teeth removed and dental implants placed just over a week before calling an ambulance), did I spend an hour being questioned about who I was and no medical care, bar a heart monitor and the offer pain relief?
7. I was clearly distressed, they asked why I was so upset, I said I did not want to be there. Why was I asked "Then why did you call an ambulance"? Seriously? Because I had leg swelling and chest pain after a long flight and you are supposed to call an ambulance when that happens. Should I sit at home when I KNOW I need medical assessment but do nothing because I don't want to go to a hospital? I had called 13 HEALTH and was told to call an ambulance.
8. Why did the nurse argue with me and say that she treated me WHEN I WAS IN THAILAND!!!! 
9. Why when I showed my passport and boarding pass, to prove I was not there and how recently I travelled, did the male nurse roll his eyes?
10. Why was I responded to, in a most sarcastic manner, with "Why would you say that? No one said you were a drug addict" when I asked the male nurse why I was being treated like a drug addict based on what the female nurse had been saying to me?
11. Do drug seekers generally arrive in the hospital in the same manner with the same risk factors refusing all needles and drugs unless its an actual treatment in order to get the drugs they want?
12. Did you speak to the Paramedic, Hayden, whom heard what the nurses were saying and stated that he felt it was not appropriate? What did he say?
13. Why did no medical staff attempt to stop me as I walked out of emergency, very distressed, in obvious pain, having arrived by ambulance and with those risk factors?
14. Has any action been taken against these health care "professionals"? If so, what? If not, why?
15. I would like access to my records to see what has been recorded regarding the events that evening. Would you please advise me of any steps I need to take to view my file.
As I stated before, I do not want your apology, it is hollow and meaningless, I want an explanation. If these nurses are refuting any of my claims I would like to know their perspective. I will not be satisfied unless or until I have these questions answered and I receive a direct apology from the female nurse involved.
Regards

Susie Butterworth


Again, I will share their response.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather!

      Ive sent you an email...
      Hope you got it, let me know if you didnt.

      Delete