Wednesday 20 March 2013

The Tooth Fairy Does Prime Time TV?!?!

I've done radio.

I've done a magazine.

Now I've done TV, yes that's right Ladies and Gents. TELEVISION!!!!! How cool is that?

Channel 9's A Current Affair contacted Global Health Travel, they wanted to do a story about travelling overseas for medical care, not cosmetic surgery, so now a couple of other patients and I have been interviewed on camera for a story airing tomorrow night!

Now remember people, I'm only half way through my treatment. I have NO TEETH, I've decided to not wear the denture, rather keep them as a souvenir. So agreeing to appear on a national prime time television broadcast is not an easy decision to make. I did it because I want people to know that its no more risky than having treatment in Australia and far more affordable. I also want the government to either subsidise dental care or regulate pricing in the dental industry so that desperate Australians don't feel they have no option but to travel to a foreign country to get help.

So all that being said, the experience of being interviewed on TV was AWESOME!!!!

I had agreed to meet the journalist and camera crew in the Botanical Gardens at 4.30pm but in typical Brisbane style it was raining, a single phone call has us a room at the Samford Plaza Hotel, the Samford is the best hotel in Brisbane....

I meet the journalist, Christina, and her team. Then we are shown to the room. Now when I say room, I mean "suite" and when I say "suite" I mean THE BEST FREAKING SUITE IN BRISBANE! It was called "The Samford Suite" people like Lady Gaga, Nicole Kidman, Robyn Willams, Cameron Diaz and Bono stayed in it....OH MY GOD!!!!!!! I couldn't stop thinking how cool it was that I was in a suite that SUPER STARS had been in....

The suite was HUGE, as big as a house! It had a massive terrace with a fireplace, full kitchen and bar, it even had A GRAND PIANO!!!!!

So, I did what any good non celebrity would do I lay on the bed and I checked out the bathroom. It was beautiful and the view from the sunken spa bath has to be one of the best my city has to offer, but you know what fascinated me....the toilet...of course.....

This toilet was a Crohns Diseased Soul's dream come true. It had some sensor that made the seat lid go up when you stood in front and when you sat down it, it was heated! When you had finished your business you decide - do you need a front wash or a back wash, or both, and warm warm cleans your bits THEN on comes the dryer to dry you off. Once you're done and stand up IT FLUSHES then closes the lid.....it was the coolest toilet ever. I can now say this journey has taken me from the worst of toilets,  in Malaysia, to the best, right down the road from my work.

Anyway.....

For the interview  they asked me a few questions then had me pretend to examine my mouth in the mirror, to read a magazine while relaxing and drink a cup of coffee....they wanted me to eat a biscuit with the coffee, I tried but I couldn't, even after dunking, so the cookie scene was scrapped....

I have also provided them with my before photo. It is BAD, REALLY REALLY BAD! But it helps to tell my story. That part of me is gone now so I don't ever have to worry about going back there. But if your going to be toothless on a TV show and talk about how something changed your life the audience needs context.

So tomorrow will see my 15 minutes of fame. I hope I have made the right choice in doing this.

If your interested in watching, I was told today, the interview will air March 22 on A Current Affair. I think its on at 6.30pm in most capital cities....

I can not believe I'm recommending people watch tabloid journalism....


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mohammad,

    Thanks! Im glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. I also went to Bangkok for dental work and they asked me to go on tv but i said hum no thanks you don't want my ugly mug on there lol so good on you . i would go back to Bangkok again. and yes a pity we cant get the same in Australia. love your blog. nicole in Perth

    ReplyDelete